Thursday, July 7, 2011

BzzAgent Review: Trend Micro SafeSync

OK, let's be honest here...I know enough about a computer to be dangerous, but as far as data storage, backups, etc. are concerned, I am clueless. So when BzzAgent.com sent me an invitation to this campaign, I himmed and hawwed for a bit, didn't think it was useful or practical for me.

Then one day, early in the morning, on our way out of town, I started reading through my emails, and I saw the invitation once again. At this point I should probably mention that my husband is an IT professional, which is why I know enough to break a computer, just not enough to fix them. He knows about all of this stuff, so I asked his opinion on the software being offered. After he looked at me like I was crazy for not knowing what the software was about, and for not jumping at the change to try it out for free, he explained the premise of "the cloud" to me.

I his line of work, we see computers that are working fine one second, and the next, everything is lost. So we know from their experience as well as our own that that means the loss of all sorts of documents, pictures, videos, and games. We've had external hard drives, but guess what, they break down too, and sometimes it's hard to remember to back the stuff up.

So, right at that moment (gotta love smartphones - got that thanks to BzzAgent too...love my HTC HD7) I signed up for the campaign.

Since my husband is in the field, we've used Trend Micro products in the past and have been pleased with them. He'd heard of SafeSync and wanted to see how it worked, to see if he might be able to recommend it to any of his clients, so this was the perfect campaign for us - unbeknownst to me.

This is what I've learned so far from the Trend Micro website:

  1. Syncs data with desktop computers, laptops, and mobile devices.
  2. Backs up files to the cloud as soon as you save them. (no need to try to find your thumb drive to make sure you have the file when you need it)
  3. Stores a history of all your file changes and lets you recover past versions. (Always good when it's a document that is always changing, i.e., calendar, shopping list, etc.)
  4. Allows you to access data from anywhere, anytime with a web-enabled device.
  5. You can upload pictures and videos.
  6. It's easy to share with your friends and family, just provide them with a link to access the info.
  7. Makes it simple to post to Facebook, Twitter, and your blog. (haven't tried this feature yet, but it's good to know that I can if I want to)
  8. Has multiple firewall protection. (I'll take all I can get)
Overall, it's a good, useful tool. It's easy to set up. You can organize it the way you like. The user guide has easy to follow directions and is truly helpful. It's almost mindless on our part, after setting up the folders for syncing, the program doesn't have to be told to sync up new files, it's all automatic.

So, what'cha think? Wanna try it? If you go to trendmicro.com/safesync and enter the discount code"BZZ20" you can save 20%. All you need to do is enter this code in the shopping cart/at checkout to receive the discount.

Note: BzzAgent provided me this service for free. What I have written are my own thoughts, neither influenced by Trend Micro nor BzzAgent.

1 comment:

  1. New Follower from Good friends just click. Hope you follow back.
    http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete